There are many diet plans that promote quick weight loss and one of the most popular are fad diets. These diets are designed specifically based on the idea that an individual should eat only a certain type of food in a specified amount of time in order to lose weight.
Fad diets are very strict diets that often result to starvation. There are a rage around the globe these days after a lot of celebrities have admitted to having used them. These diets include the hCG diet, master cleanse diet, cabbage soup diet, raw food diet, pizza diet, etc. If you’re interested in subscribing to any of these, it’s highly recommended that you get to know about the specific diet in detail.
Pros and Cons of Fad Diets
Just like any other diet plan, fad diets have advantages and disadvantages. They may be effective for some people but they might not also be suitable for some others. Here are some of the pros and cons:
- Because they provide initial loss of weight, an individual gets motivated in eating healthy foods.
- There are some that help in detoxification like the master cleanse which enhances the skin texture aside from providing weight loss.
- There are lesser chances of suffering from side effects from those that include essential nutrients in the list of foods to take.
- Proper blood sugar level is maintained because of the rejection of refined sugars, fats and carbohydrates.
- A person is able to get all the body’s needed vitamins and minerals because of the emphasis on eating fresh fruits and vegetables.
- They are designed to be only followed in a short span of time.
- There is a possibility of being deficient in proteins, vitamins and minerals in fad diets such as chocolate, master cleanse and cabbage soup diet.
- Side effects may come up such as kidney stone, lack of sleep, nervousness, fatigue and low blood pressure.
- Those that require dieters to cut down on fats and carbohydrates completely can result to lack of energy.
- Excess or lack of fluids because of metabolism going up and down can cause diarrhea and dehydration.
- Trying to lose weight by following a fad diet for a long time can cause malnutrition.
- A lot of people have reported that they’ve gained weight when they stopped with fad diets.
From the information above on the pros and cons, it looks like there’s a higher chance of getting an opposite effect in the body than actually helping in weight loss with the use of fad diets. I would suggest that if you wish to follow a fad diet, talk it over first with your doctor.
If you would ask me, one should better go with the natural weight loss regimen – as simple as following a balanced diet and exercising you’ll be able to already lose weight minus the side effects. Also, if it’s not really urgent to lose weight like those who are obese who need to lose weight quickly, better go for the natural way than risk your health for fad diets wherein you’re still unsure if you’ll be able to gain from or not.